Monday, February 14, 2005

So many nuts!

Last night, it came to light that Casey wasn't doing anything for his birthday. And I missed the retro dance party. So I stayed at home nursing my hurt back. Today (brilliantly) it feels much better. This is the fastest healed hurt back ever. I thank the Korean food for that.

Tonight I took Ms H. Duncan out for a beer at the Peanut Barrel. Her birthday was this week as well, so I owed her a birthday beverage. The Peanut Barrel, on a Sunday night, is a depressing place, so we left and went next door to Espresso Royale to read. this is where we are now. H sits across from me reading Deepak Chopra and I write this. When I am finished, I will continue reading A Confederacy of Dunces. I like the book a great deal, but I have so much I want to read that I feel a great urgency to speed through every book in order to get to the next one. Josh has let me borrow Kafka on the Shore, and the Romeo Dallaire book is on order for me at the book store. I also have Naguib Mahfouz, Umberto Eco, John D'Emilio, Martha Minnow, some Foucault, and a book about Apartheid. Aargh! So many books!

In the midst of all this reading frenzy, there (apparently) is also the spirit to consider as well. H advises meditation. I was thinking more along the lines of heavy sedatives, but I'll try anything. I've also been running a lot lately and am having a lot of fun with it, in a flagellation-sort-of-way. I would really like to be a runner. Actually, I'd really like to be able to play soccer.

Any recommendations (re: reading, spirit, running, soccer, elephants?)

3 Comments:

At 7:08 PM, Blogger The Narrator said...

This running and fitness thing is tearing apart the family. First Dad, then Mom and Joe, now you. Well let me go on record saying that this Gaines will NOT embrace any sort of so-called exercise. It causes one to breathe in the bad air and become susceptible to the heeby-jeebies or the whatsits. Devil's work!

Read Don DeLillo's "White Noise." Then read some Paul Bowles.

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Hayley said...

Don't you have a YMCA membership?

 
At 6:58 PM, Blogger The Narrator said...

It's free, and I mostly used it for the whirlpool. But I even stopped doing that because they overclorinated it one day and my sking fell off.

Now I just sit around the house, sucking up sticks of butter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home