Thursday, January 19, 2006

I Draw My Metaphor From The Bees

My apologies for the long intervals between posts. I had this ambitious idea for a post, but it required a lot of work, including using a computer that wasn't mine - it's hard to include links on the Crime of it All from an ibook. So that post will simply have to wait.

Dad and I just got back from Lamai's Kitchen, a Thai place near our house. It's in the building on Michigan Ave. that was Eddie's for about a million years. Anyway, on Thursdays, Lamai's does a vegetarian buffet, and while it looks small, it's amazingly filling and full of quite tasty delights. New favorites: curry pumpkin, stir-fried mustard with egg, and fried bananas. Now I've got that full feeling that makes me not want to move. Fortunately I've got a few hours before bed, so I won't have to go to bed with that completely-gorged feeling.

Earlier today I picked up Elizabeth and we headed to downtown East Lansing. Our first stop was at FBC. Elizabeth bought Mobb Deep and some hip-hop compilation. Then she bought me Mos Def's "Black on Both Sides" because it's one of my favorite albums and I'd lost it. She also bought me the movie "Garden State" because she knows how much I like Zach Braff (and also because I sort of feel like I'm in one of those floating through life with nothing to do stages). I bought (for myself) Jens Lekman "When I Said I Wanted To Be Your Dog." Preliminary listening proves it to be a rather phenomenal album. Jens Lekman is the best musician you've never heard of. And that's all I really know about him.

After FBC, Elizabeth and I got coffee at Espresso. I got just plain coffee, but Elizabeth, who's possibly clinically insane, got a large Americano (or something that came with three shots of espresso already in it) and added three extra espresso shots. The barista had to ask about ten times if it was really what Elizabeth wanted. He also said it was the most expensive drink he's made in his year working at the shop. But Elizabeth really likes to make an impression, so I guess it was a good day.

Before the Elizabeth excursion (this post is unfolding "Memento" style) I went for a walk as it was unseasonably warm today. I headed around the neighborhood where we lived when I was born. And as I walked up Fernwood past Fairview and towards Magnolia, I recalled a day when I was maybe six (possibly younger) and I was walking in the same place, heading to Lillian Ashley's house. On this particular day (during the summer) it was sunny and quiet, and I recalled hearing a plane very far up passing over head. And I thought it was an interesting habit of warm, sunny, quiet days to have a plane passing somewhere very far up overhead, lazily flying by. Today, however, it was too cold for such flying.

Before my walk I watched "The Importance of Being Earnest" and was reminded of what a funny play/movie that is. I encourage everyone to go out and rent the movie with Colin Firth, Rupert Everett, Judi Dench, and Reese Witherspoon. It is, as I've already mentioned, very funny and I'm thinking about buying it.

Now, go to Wikipedia and learn something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home