Friday, August 26, 2005

Two bars are better than none (?)

I met with the epidemiologist yesterday who was very pleasant though I think she had no clue what to do with me. Actually, she wasn't really certain what our connection was. It's a bit convoluted, but: Brother lives in LA with Hud, whose cousin is married to a woman who's sister is the epidemiologist. Yes? Are we clear?

The epidemiologist told me that I was on the right path for getting a job at a non-profit and she said if she heard about any jobs, she'd direct them to me. Great. In the meantime, I learned a bit about what she's doing and what the Seattle HIV scene is like - mostly white, gay men. Which has not, as the stereotype may implicate, the way the epidemic has been going lately. In many places it's affecting often poor, minority populations, primarily African American men and (to a greater extent) African American women.

But this is sort of depressing, yes? So to cheer things up, I'll explain last night's adventure. I went to two bars by myself. I read my book at both bars. the first bar was too nice to disappear in and drink and read. The second bar had only about six people in it, so everyone noticed when someone else came through the doors. I really don't mind hanging out by myself, but this was pushing it a little. The only thing that really embarassed me was that I figured everyone thought I got stood up by some no-good man. I don't even know any no-good men to stand me up, so maybe I'm lucky in that sense.

Anyhow, I got bored and came home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home