Saturday, August 27, 2005

I flip a coin to decide if I'm taking a shower or not

You know, I only started this blog because I thought I needed a blog with these people in order to leave comments on Bother's blog. Hell, I wasnt even going to keep up with the thing, only Brother made me do it. And it didn't make a whole hell of a lot of sense because everyone I knew and cared about lived in the same city, so what's the fucking point? I'll tell them what happened in the world of Hayley when I see them at the bar.

And then I figured that we'd all be moving far away from each other, so maybe they'd read my blog then. Only, they all hate blogs and refuse to read this. Approximately four people read this thing with any regularity.

For Brother, half the joy is in writing the thing. And he's a good writer. So am I, only in a different sense. I write decent papers. I do research and recycle ideas and use quotes effectively. I could be a decent grant writer, but I'm not a writer by trade. Only one of my friends is, and he's not even a close friend. Closer to a friend of a friend. So none of my friends are reading this for enjoyment. They rely on Dave Eggers and Nabokov for that.

But anyway, here's my day. Every morning starts out the same: I lay in bed thinking: Do I take a shower? or do I put it off until tomorrow? If I do shower, should I do it right away, or should I have coffee first? And if I am taking a shower today, am I washing my hair? getting it wet? keeping it up and dry? Am I shaving my legs? or will I be fine wearing jeans all day? Generally the decision is: shower right away, wash hair if hair was not washed the day before, and wait until in the shower to decide about shaving.

Then breakfast. Coffee is difficult to make here because there's no coffee maker. So I heat up some water, grind the coffee, put it in the perma-filter, place the perma-filter inside a holder-thing, and place those over a mug (usually with some milk already splashed in it). When the water is hot, I slowly pour the water in the filter. By slowly, I mean I pour in a small bit of water, wait for it to soak through, then pour in a little bit more. It's laborious and I have to stand around for the whole thing. A coffee maker really eases this effort, yet there is no coffee maker here. So today I skipped to coffee because I just couldn't handle it, plus the kitchen was a bit crowded and I hate a crowded kitchen.

So I ate an apple and some toasted banana bread and sat outside reading an article about the Plame-leakage investigation in today's paper. I only got about half way through before I got distracted. Gold called and we talked for a long time. I hate the phone, but I like talking to the people who are far away from me, so somewhere a chord is struck. After this, I checked my email. My friends have an email conversation going. We write about whatever tickles our fancies, though often-times a debate/conversation rages and takes over the whole thing. Recently, the thing has focused on "pattycake" John Roberts and (currently) the Iraq war and when disengagement should occur.

I'll skip to something that matters. In the afternoon, Gordie and I took the bus downtown and saw The Brothers Grimm. He liked it a lot, I was disappointed. At the very least, it would have pleased me to no end to have Samantha Morton in the chick role instead of the bad actress hot chick they got. Plus, Matt Damon really kind of sucked. Heath Ledger acted circles around Matt Damon. I was going to see the new Wong Kaw Wai movie, 2046 by myself. I still need to see that. At least for Jack's sake.

Tomorrow night: the Fruit Bats CD release party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home