Wednesday, August 31, 2005

In the wilds, unaccompanied, a foot soldier of the righteous

Such was my reaction after seeing the new Wong Kar Wai movie, 2046, at the Harvard Exit this afternoon. After having a few hours to think about it, though, I'm pretty certain I liked it. It was insanely long, though - it could have ended about three times before it actually did. But, as always, it was very beautiful and I wasn't really certain was going on most of the time. Ultimately, though, it's a movie about love and how half of finding love is being in the same place at the same time (with the person you love).

So, yes, I went on a photo safari and scared up a few good pictures of Seattle. Interested? Yes?

This is across the street from the Harvard Exit in Capital Hill. The place where all those people are sitting outside is the world's most adorable coffee shop, where I sat and drank coffee before seing 2046. The inside of the shop is really small, and immediately to the left of the counter where you order is a staircase that leads to a little loft area with two tiny tables. To the right of the counter is a little room with a few tables, and then another staircase that leads to another tiny loft area with one or two tiny tables. The whole place is cozy and nicely painted. A lot of hip, fashionable, young people hang out here, but it's an otherwise fantastic place to sit and drink coffee and read and feel adorable.
Record sale on Pine St. Only ninety-nine cents. Only, I didn't buy it. Who knows when I'll have a legitimate turntable?
Seemed like an appropriate question. Some utility workers stopped working to sort of watch me take this picture. As far as they knew, I was just taking a picture of a wall. Oh, how plebeian! They'll never understand my art - my art of the people, of the streets. I enjoy pictures of graffiti. Many of my pictures from Italy and London were of graffiti. It's an interesting way of documenting what's going on in the world, as much of the graffiti (at least in Italy) is political. It also makes me very curious as to what the graffiti artist was referring when s/he tagged whatever has been tagged. Why did this person ask this question? Was it to provoke serious thought? Was it a reference to religion? Or was it advertising the new Death Cab for Cutie album?
This one was for Tim, who does not read this. Nevertheless, it is for whom conservatism rings. More images from the Citta di Pioggia at a later date.

2 Comments:

At 10:48 AM, Blogger The Narrator said...

Isn't it ironic that utility workers would never understand art meant for the people? Or were you joking just then?

 
At 3:22 PM, Blogger Hayley said...

Joking, sarcasm.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home