Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Now in Amazing Technicolor!

Not to worry all those who worried. Pictures are on the way (PK - this is for you). I have dispensation from the powers that be to use the digital camera belonging to various members of the Greenwood/Mellinger clan. So, tomorrow I will head downtown for a photo safari. I hope to have pictures of water and libraries and coffee shops and cinemas and totem poles and markets and graffiti. And maybe a shot or two of yours truly. Pictures... and in color, too! Who would have thought?

The Fruit Bats cd release party: tedious. I stood through four opening acts, two of which started out promisingly but quickly grew tiresome and unoriginal. When Fruit Bats actually began to play, they ran into several technical difficulties, which ruined the flow of the show. While the lead singer was humorous and apologetic, and while I certainly placed no blame on the band, I was already very antsy and bored and tired from having stood for several hours listening to bad music and having no one to talk to about how bad the music was. However, when Fruit Bats rocked, they really rocked. Sans the openings acts, it was a flawed but rollicking show.

The weekend was also marked by a trip to the fish market. It stank. But we bought salmon because Uncle Tom smokes his own salmon (he also smokes cheese, and it is delicious). So I'm in need of bagels and cream cheese to go with my lox a la Uncle Tom.

Yesterday, Simon Greenwood, the younger of the two Greenie boys, moved home. His lease was up at his apartment and he had not yet found another apartment. So today, it was my responsibility to drive Simon to the University District to check out of him apartment. While in the U-District, I met up with my friend Ari, who is here for grad school. We hung out at his place, and then went out for pho (Vietnamese noodle soup, usually with meat or tofu and vegetables, pronounced fuh). The rest of my afternoon I spent at a coffee shop reading.

I'm currently reading three books: Another Country, by James Baldwin; Thank You For Smoking, by Christopher Buckley; and Imaginary Homelands, essays and criticism by Salman Rushdie. Writers on my list of upcoming reads include Noah Feldman, Philip Caputo, Arundhati Roy, more Saul Bellow, and always more Rushdie.

Stay tuned for pictures!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home