Sunday, September 25, 2005

MI or bust

I'm moving back to Michigan. I like Seattle a lot, but it's not liking me nearly as much. I'll be heading to Royal Oak to live with my friend Drew. At least that's the plan. Right now, I have no real clue what will happen in the next few weeks. There's just no telling.

I saw Salman Rushdie again this week. He was reading from his new novel, about which I have read mixed results. I like the way he writes, though some of the criticisms are probably warranted. I cannot recall these criticisms all too clearly at the moment, but know that they are reasonable (that is, about his writing in general - I have not read the new book, I'm just not surprised by some of the things being said). Earlier this week I was reading a book of Rushdie's essays, and in one his point was that the best literature coming out of India or being written by Diaspora-Indians is primarily being written in English. A few works written in native Indian languages were worth noting, but primarily it is in English that the best of Indian literature is written. So I wrote down a long list of books he considered to be among the best and I will, hopefully, find them in my local library (I'll be relying on the Capital Area District Library and probably some Metro Detroit library from now on. I'll really miss Seattle's library).

Among the author's Rushdie mentioned (for your general information and to all interested readers): Anita Desai, BC Chaterjee, Muhammad Iqbal, Banerjee, Premchand, Vikram Seth, Bapsi Sidhwa, and, of course, Rabindranath Tagore. There are more, but my notes are a little hard to decipher at the moment.

1 Comments:

At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that is what i call news! I'll be back in MI for long stints in December. I'll be in L.A. for a while too....ahhahahah got you! Lansing area! hahahahaha ok. But seriously, I'll be avoiding many people, but I do want to see people I like. I have this new 773 area code phone number which should shield me from many unwanted acquaintence-type phone calls. So, if you and some of our old crew like Goldie, Sammy, Action J, Brooksie, that married couple and other Phonecians/People we know want to hit up the P.B for some long islands, I'm all for it! Let me know the day, and I'll be there......it'll be cold .....which reminds me...Today, I was at the supermarket and an old man wearing a large over coat, old bowler hat, glasses, and other such used-to-be-stately-now-in-tatters-clothing walked slowly past the self-check-out-line gracefully singing "Jingle Bells." He was very calmly walking along and singing the entire song! He seemed very happy as I watched him stroll into the freezer aisle, a hazy shady of winter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home