Friday, September 02, 2005

Somehow I can't stop thinking of Ignatius J. Reilly


This hurricane business. As a human (emotions, concern, all the rest) I feel compelled to comment. As a student of sociology, I feel compelled to comment. But, as I am, I am certain that nothing new can be said (at least by me) that will bring anything into the world. I'm terribly curious as to how all this will get sorted out, and I hope it gets sorted out soon. I'm distressed at the slowness of response by Congress. My friend Drew points out that Congress managed to jump to action to save Terry Schiavo, but they can't be expected to convene for this. That's certainly disheartening. And I'm not entirely certain how I feel about making the number one priority of New Orleans police to stop the looting. Certainly, quelling violence should be a priority, but in this crisis situation it should not be a top concern what people are walking out of stores with. Yes, it's bizarre and criminal that they are stealing dvd players as well as food and water and deodorant. But I still say that rescuing those stranded is the number one concern. My biggest hang-up concerning my own argument (I'm fighting with myself) is regarding the shooting and raping and all that is going on. If more people were being saved, would that be happening, or should the priority be stopping this before saving people? I'm going in circles. Please, thoughts? Here's an interesting article. Well, it was only a matter of time, I suppose. Also, my friend Pete alerted me to this. It's not pleasant.

I still urge all my reader(s?) to donate. A friend of mine said he donated to the Church World Service, an organization that, while Christian, does not proselytize. Furthermore, Google has a link to donate to the Red Cross, which has collected (thus far) $1,377,558.00.

All of this is suddenly weighing very heavily on me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home