Monday, March 07, 2005

Anti-associative behavior does not necessarily bar you from using our facilities

I may dislike my job. I may really dislike the people I work for/with. But sometimes, doing health research is oddly rewarding. Sometimes I talk to people who are so interesting, or so nice, or so funny that it makes me feel fine about the other jerks who won't talk to me. Sometimes I talk to people who are in such bad shape, who need help so badly, that any little thing I do for them is a blessing. I'm certain that no one else I work with actually cares very much about what they're doing. They treat each encounter like a salesman does a customer - they want you to go for what they're selling so they can get the commission and they don't want to waste their time on anyone who isn't going to go for it. I hate that aspect of my job. And maybe I'm ridiculous for caring. But at the end of the freaking day, we're taking personal information from people who are in a vulnerable position. We know more about them than they know about us. It's an unfair position, but its necessary for the information to flow faster. Is there a way around this?

Were you aware that biannual means twice a year while biennial means once every two years? I had no clue that opening the Chicago Manual of Style to a random page would prove to be so enlightening. I ought to do it more often.

Now, I've been struggling with this for a year and it's gone on entirely too long. Should I name the car Lady Bird or Dressy Bessy? Are there other options open to me? Snuffy? Scott Bakula? Parliament? Give me ideas! This namelessness cannot continue!

3 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Blogger The Narrator said...

Nigel Funnypants
Garamond DuPree
The Governor
Nissan Jones
Elliott, the Fanciful Chimneysweep

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Hayley said...

Wouldn't "whom" imply the car was human? Certainly I am living many lies, some with humans, some with things. Perhaps the double entendre is that my car is a human and while everyone thinks otherwise, here I am living a lie with a car/human/car/human... we could go on forever.

But seriously, friend, don't you feel that name is just a tad too long for a car? Am I supposed to walk outside every morning and say, "Hello, car with whom you're living a lie?" I'd rather walk outside and chirp "G'day Governor" (though it would come out sounding more like gub'nah than governor... again, we're talking about a car, not the executive office holder in the state government.)

 
At 12:40 PM, Blogger Hayley said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home